We are pleased to announce that De La Salle University has chosen Google Apps for its new email and calendar platform for its student accounts. You have recently received your new Google Apps account and can log in and begin using Gmail, Google Calendar, and the other apps, right away.
What is Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications that Google hosts on their own servers. Google provides these applications as a “service,” rather than as software to download and install. To access these applications, you simply use a web browser on a computer that’s connected to the Internet.
Why did you choose Google Apps?
Based on recent De La Salle University growth and cost trends, we looked for an email and calendar solution that could provide with us the following benefits:
· Lower infrastructure costs – All your email will be stored securely on Google’s servers, so we’ll no longer need to maintain email servers on-site
· Ability to consolidate our platforms – We can eliminate redundancy by moving all of our email and calendar platforms to Google Apps
· Lower support costs – Because Google hosts the email and calendar services, there’s no more email client software to maintain on your computer
· Innovative solutions – We can leverage the ongoing creative and technical solutions of the Google Apps platform to provide employees with powerful, easy-to-use tools for getting their work done
· Highly scalable environment – With Google Apps, our email capacity will grow automatically as our DeLa Salle University grows, and we’ll avoid the complexity of internal systems
· Access to services from anywhere, anytime – A key benefit of the Google-hosted solution is that we can access email, contacts, and calendar from any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world
· More collaboration features – With Google’s next-generation applications, we can collaborate with colleagues, customers, and partners more easily and efficiently than ever before
· Instant messaging – Because Google Apps includes Google Talk, we can now implement an instant messaging system for our De La Salle University
What exactly does Google Apps include?
Your new Google Apps account will include the following services:
| Google Mail
Built-in to Google Mail
· Lots of storage – You get a full 7 GB of online storage for your email (much more than the 20mb you have now), so you can archive all of your email online. You’ll no longer need to worry about deleting messages or saving them in offline folders.
· Enhanced message organization and retrieval – With Google Mail, you’ll spend less time managing folders and searching for messages. For example, you can add one or more tags, or “labels,” to your messages to organize and store them more efficiently. And with the Google-powered search feature, you can find any message quickly and easily, whether it’s in your Inbox or stored in your message archive.
· Easier calendar sharing – Google Calendar lets you and your team members quickly and easily share your calendars with each other and specify the details you want to show. Calendar sharing is a great way for you and your co-workers to keep each other informed about your schedules. Now it’s easier than ever to find out if someone is in a meeting, on a business trip, or on vacation.
· Integrated chat – With the Google Talk instant messaging application, you can communicate instantly with your co-workers right from the Email interface. In addition, all your chats are automatically saved in your Email application, so you can always retrieve important information.
· Real-time collaboration – Using Google Docs, you can create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, and you and your team members can view and edit them at the same time. You can still use your Microsoft Office products as needed, but now you’ll have more options for storing and collaborating on your documents.
· Easy-to-build team web sites – With Google Sites, your team has the ability to quickly publish a robust internal web site on which to gather all sorts of shared information, such as documents, spreadsheets, presentations, files, and videos. You can even embed Google calendars and other gadgets on your site!
· Powerful video sharing – Using Google Video for business, you can easily share videos with your team or throughout the De La Salle University for a whole new level of communication and collaboration.
How do I start using Google Apps?
· Login to My.LaSalle – Login to My.LaSalle with your username and password
· Change Password – Change your password by clicking the link on the left.
· Login to Google Apps – Password changes would take 3 hours to take effect. You could login to http://mail.dlsu.ph to use the service
· Login information – You may log in to your My.LaSalle account to know your login username but generally it would be: firstname_lastname and your password would be the new password you have set in My.LaSalle.
· Email address – Your new email address would be email@example.com.
Where can I find more information?
· DLSU Google Apps Landing Page – You may visit http://my.dlsu.ph for more information and lots of FAQs
· DLSU Helpdesk – You mail email helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Google Account @dlsu.ph stays with you even when you graduate! It is yours to keep for as long as you like!